Monday, January 24, 2011

Jeremiah...

I was reading the word this morning and found myself in Jeremiah. I was reading chapter 25 and had moments where I stopped to really think. These scriptures are talking about judgement and God forewarning the people to change, but in their hearts, they refused to listen. The scripture that sticks out in my mind says,

"Turn now every one from his evil way and from the evil of your deeds, and dwell in the land which the Lord has given to you and your forefathers forever and ever; and do not go after other gods to serve them and to worship them, and do not provoke me to anger with the work of your hands, and I will do you no harm."

The "I will do you no harm..." I think some times we as Christians become too passive. We forget how mighty the God we serve is and we think ONLY of his compassion and grace. One thing that has always kept me growing as a Christian is remembering that GOD means business. Yes, he is a God of grace, of love, of compassion, but He also can be turned toward anger. He asks us to change... do we? He asks us to lay down an addiction, or something we enjoy that we know is even maybe only a little wrong in our minds... do we?

It's an amazing realization when you stop and think about it... anything that God asks of you and you do not do... for whatever reason you may have for NOT doing it... you are putting that above God, therefore making and idol of it or worshipping it higher than your respect for God. I'm humbled at this thought as there are areas in my life I strive daily to lay down for Christ. We ALL have them because we are ALL human... but this morning... I sit quiet and I take note that God can be turned to anger at the work of my hands. Whether it be intentional or whether it be something I passively shrug off... God sees and God knows. The grace is there for me or for you to change... no matter how big or small the area is in life... God cares enough to help us change... What's he asking of you? Are you listening? Are you striving for Him? If not, today can begin that change...

No comments: