Friday, June 27, 2008

Bear with me...

OK, I hate doing this because many of my readers are not dealing with medical stuff... however I am desperately needing some help. Some of you may have thoughts even though you don't deal with this... so feel free to share ANY thoughts! Joey has a Bard button G-tube. For those of you who are not familiar, that means he basically has a beach ball button on his belly. Exactly what it looks like! So, we are going to Quaker haven Camp this next week for a pastor's meeting. We have the opportunity possibly to utilize their little lake front beach. However, joey can not be immersed in lake water because of bacteria and basically having an open wound on his abdomen (skin does not seal around the button so that the button can be moved or changed as needed). This can allow water to enter his body or his tummy, but it would not allow much, however Lake water carries so many foreign bacteria, it could cause some HUGE issues with just a tiny amount. We are looking for something water proof yet not too invasive to cover his bard. I thought of saran wrap and tape, but it did NOT go well! He hated it! Over loaded those sensory issues! Whew! Any thoughts? I really want him to get to experience just like all the other kids and that's why I'm searching so hard. I try to find some way in every thing we do to accommodate their special needs so they don't feel "different" or "left out." so... thoughts PLEASE!!?!?!? :) thanks!

1 comment:

2awesomekidz said...

Hi,
I have been thinking about this, landon does not have a gtube at all but the broviac cannot get wet. Really the only thing that I can think of, if he will tolerate it. Keep in mind I don't know how big the site is. But maybe you could put a gauze pad, then a peice of the wrap, just a square, enough to cover the site and then put strips of the waterproof first aid tape all over it, So the the entire wrap is covered. Does that make sense. So that the wrap is not annoying and all the way around his waist. I don't know though, if it would be worth taking a chance that something still might seep in. Maybe you can call the surgeon and see what they think? Good luck!
Tami