Friday, February 22, 2008

Fat doens't just fall off...


I mentioned in another post that I have been really being pulled by God to work on areas in my life. Our bodies have a lot to do with what we can do for God. If we make the poor choices to make ourselves sick... we can't serve God. I was reading my Bible tonight and a portion of a scripture absolutely slapped me... Romans 14:20a "Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food..." This brought much conviction to me. Right now, I don't always feel like I'm doing the work of God. I often get bogged down with the medical side of life. My day starts with meds, then is filled with physical upkeep and doctoring and rehabing... and then ends with meds... I often forget that God is at work in me and through me even in my daily tasks because HE has given me these tasks. I am a stress eater. I found out today that dad was being admitted for sickness and congestive heart failure... where did I turn... hmm... salty potato chips. One, not only are my children watching and learning... I am the trainer of their mind set right now... but two, I'm destroying my body, a vessel that God is ever working through for the sake of an addiction and an apparent stress releaver. That so breaks God's heart! Every task set before you God calls you to do well. Your neighbors are watching, your friends, your family, your CHILDREN... every opportunity set before you is an opportunity to serve. I don't need a plane to take me clear across the seas to some far off land... I am called and SET APART right here... bought with a price and precious vessel for God's use RIGHT HERE IN MY HOME!!!!! So, I was convicted today. My choices do affect and can destroy the work of God. I read on tonight in 1 Corinthians 3:16, 17 to read "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's spirit lives in you? If any one destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple." WOW!!!!! Do I not destroy my body, God's temple with the choices of what goes through my mouth. and then again in 1 Cor. 6:19 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." So, if food can destroy the work of God (Now granted, if you read on in Romans, it is talking about different faiths and not allowing what you eat to cause some one to stumble, however, in the context I am referring it seems to also apply when you add it to these verses...) My body is something that needs to be healthy and kept for God's glory. If I am destroying it with food, I am also destroying the work of God by abruptly choosing to shorten my time (health break down) and then, I'm destroying God's temple! HIS dwelling place... God help me to make the choices I need to so that I can be a clean and pure temple for your glory! Set me apart and be with me to have the strength to say no to food and to flee to you so that your work may go forward! Amen!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Mindy! We all need to be reminded of this. It was also nice to see you focus on you and give attention to your needs. Our lives are so absorbed in our children we sometimes forget that not only did God create them for a purpose, he also created us Mommies (YOU) for a purpose as well! Keep up the great work Mindy!
Melissa

Cari said...

I so agree. I must say, I would love to eat chocolate all the time, but I have stopped eating so much of it because I knew the kids would want it too and I knew they did not always need it, not that I needed it either. Such a good reminder for us...I loved the verses you had in there.

Shan said...

Wow, I have been dealing with the same thing. I get upset and I bury it with food. I even know I'm doing it and yet it continues to happen... You are not alone in this battle! It was so well written, such a mirror of what I'm feeling... Keep it up girl! Inspirational! Shannon (Marie's Mommy)