Monday, February 11, 2008

Nothing short of crazy...


Well, just when you think nothing else could possibly go wrong... IT DOES! Jeff took off tonight to Connersville to be with their growth group. I was home with the two kids. I put some potatoes on to boil and well, Abby had a dirty diaper. I run her in to change her only to hear the fire alarm going off. I look up and there is black smoke billowing out of my kitchen. I told the kids to stand by the door, mommy would be right there. I was intending to run and see if it was managble or not, but also grab emergency stock in meds. Well, it was too late... the smoke was too bad and there was no time but to get the kids out. So, I left it all, picked up the phone and called 911 while putting the kids emergency ponchos (Gift of Riley safety store for special needs kids... these are thick and warm for such an emergency) I tucked one under each arm pit. as I hung up from 911, I called my friend mandy to come help with the kids (Thinking if the neighbors weren't home, she'd be the next closest person to come get us). She seen the front door still standing open by this time the smoke billowing out the front door. Crazy girl went in! She thought we were still in there needing help getting out. She realized we were gone, however got nervous because she heard my voice. We have specialized fire alarms. Noise aggitates Joey, so Riley gave us fire alarms that have my voice recorded on them giving calm direction instead of the loud beeping. Ha! However, she gets a huge pat on the back because she got the fire out before the fire department arrived. So, there is a LOT of smoke damage and clean up, but the only actual loss was the fan/vent over the stove. The rest is easily fixed. So, God's hand was in it. After calming down and realizing what tonight could have been... the scripture about how we are refined by the fire came to my mind. I sit and wonder why, but God is only making us to purest that we can be. There is probably a crazy reason this is all happening. I can't just accept there is a black cloud that follows us... God is molding us and making us and if we hang on, we'll come out on the other side more beautiful than any thing we can imagine. So, as you go to bed tonight... please pray for us as we clean up. There was too much smoke damage, they said the kids would not be safe there tonight. So, we are staying at my parents house. Hopefully, Jeff and I can get it cleaned up tomorrow enough we can move back home tomorrow night. The kids health is fragile right now and stress intensifies that... so please pray. Joey was having major problems this a.m. that almost required a trip, but tonight was better. However, he is having his intestinal issues now... so that is always a quick admit. I'm very warn down and was running across the alley in bare feet and short sleeves, so pray I don't get sick either. Thanks so much. God is bigger than any crisis! Night all.

4 comments:

Cari said...

Wow...sounds like an exciting night! I am glad to hear you all are safe right now. I am just praying Joey will get to feeling better.

Cari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tonya said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad you are all right and your house is still standing! That's scary! You are in our prayers.

Shelby-Grace said...

Nothing like the unexpected to make for an exciting night! So glad you all got out Ok! You are all in my prayers.